Saturday, January 27, 2007

Yacob's Open Letter from Prison

I just read Dr. Yacob Hailemariam's open letter to the Ethiopian people and the judges adjudicating on the spurious charges of sedition and genocide made against him and his Kinijit colleagues by the Ethiopian regime. It's an inspiring as well as educational message that every single Ethiopian needs to read. I can't imagine how depressing and helpless Yacob and his colleagues feel by their unjust incarceration, but it's quite heartening to read their commitment to the cause that put them in jail. I had the privilege of meeting Yacob in a couple of meetings in the late 90's. It pains me greatly that such a gentle person who is of immense intellectual capacity is treated by his fellow countrymen like this. I hope and pray that truth and justice will soon prevail in their case as well as the cases of the thousands of other political prisoners in Ethiopia. If you have not yet read Yacob's open letter, I urge you to read it now. Here is the English translation of the letter.

No comments: