Saturday, June 25, 2011

This Music is Really Good for You - VII

I am sure you have listened to music from Mali (they are world famous, you know), but I bet you have not heard of Habib Koite and Bamada before. Malian music is similar to Ethiopian music in that they both are rich in melody. But I have to say that Malian music sounds a lot better than Ethiopian music, to me at least. I suspect the reason may be because Malian musicians make a far better use of stringed instruments and their drum beats are much more sophisticated. When will Ethiopian musicians abandon the dreaded keyboard for a real instrument as their main musical instrument? Wasn't this used to be the case just a short two decades ago? Pardon me for the rant, but please enjoy these three great works of music from Habib and his super band mates.






2 comments:

AyaNayzgi said...

I agree 100% with your comments about the terrible condition of today's Ethiopian music. I loved (and enjoyed) the second music video. Thanks for sharing. By the way I am a regular visitor of your blog and appreciate you very much. Thanks

enset said...

I am glad you enjoyed the songs. Thanks for visiting this blog regularly.